Friday, June 6, 2008

They Say It's Your Birthday!


Today’s birthday is pretty surreal...Usually I approach it with huge fanfare, prepping people weeks in advance, and encouraging loads of gift-giving. Then when it hits I stretch the celebration out for weeks, like so many fireworks in the gutters of Chinatown that have exploded but still pop and fizzle before dying altogether in a sulfurous black thread of smoke. But this year my birthday has surprised me with its arrival. For once I didn’t plan a party or a happy hour or send out my amazon wishlist. Despite all that, my phone has been buzzing lovingly all morning and so far this morning I have absorbed a Birthday Frittata, a Birthday Baked Potato, and some Birthday Black-Eyed Pea Soup (I don’t have much of a sweet tooth). And now, forty pounds later, I’m blissing out and tempted to wear a tiara...

If you need me, I’ll be curled up under my desk fondling some birthday bacon.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great birthday Sharona - see you manana.....

Anonymous said...

happy, happy birthday! can't believe I forgot. (shame on me). Remember the good ol' days when we celebrated with the boys? Those were fun days! :)

are you doing anything FUN this weekend to celebrate?????????

See ya next Friday!

Anonymous said...

I don't have much of a sweet tooth either. One birthday when I was a child, my mother gave me a clam in the shell with a birthday candle sticking out of it. Much better than a cake!
Happy birthday!
Marge Bancroft