Thursday, July 24, 2008

My lovely SLO weekend...


Since I am longer overdue for a posting about my weekend...here are a few photos to take the place of witty text! (This is what I do when I don't have any words to say. I cheat and post photos, instead. Isn't a picture supposed to be worth a thousand words?)


This is Brian--Deee's husband/ best bass player in Damon Castillo history/ lawyer/ eyebrow-groomer extraordinaire/ elephant artist. A true renaissance man.



This is Deee! Wife of Brian, architect/ designer/ interior decorator/ gardener extraordinaire/ elephant artist. I really know how to pick my friends.

Since 'draw elephants' was one of the first items on my weekend's agenda (naturally), we took inspiration from Delirium Tremens (just the glassware, of course, * cough cough *), and came up with the genius you see below...


Please note the resemblance.



Deee decided (and properly so) that our elephants should be French. Like 'elefaaaans.' (We obviously don't speak any French.) But the elefans wanted German names, so that's what they got. I can't remember why they insisted (that's the Delirium for you), but they did. So each of our elefans are happy little yenzes and hansels and gustavos. Each of you will be getting a different one, so stay tuned!


It's a shame we've retired our paper mache bird business. Look how fantastic our birds look! For the bargain price of $4k/each, we could totally quit our jobs and make a business out of this...

Deee and Brian's living room. Someday, when I have my own place and mad disposable income (I think the elefans may be my key to this untapped wealth), I'm hiring Deee to design it. She'll protest because she's modest like that, but if I wave enough cold hard cash and deliver a couple of convincing threats, she won't have a choice...




This is a little sum'in sum'in from Utopia Bakery, Caro's recommendation for the yummiest pastries in all the land. I got the veggie omelette croissant thingy, and Deee got a treat we called the Kooji Booji (below) because we forgot the name as soon as we ordered it. Please note this table and mug belong to Deee and not the bakery. That's how cool she is.



After gaining twenty kooji booji pounds, we hit Avila Beach!



A little nugget of baby yum.

I LOVE BEACH TOWNS. Gumball machines, flip flops for sale in every storefront, galleries full of dolphin art, and bars with names like 'Bill's Beachcomber Burgers'...what's not to love?? You can buy your candles and windsocks in the same shop you get your mermaid doorstops and fairy nightlights! Breakfast, any time of day! Coffee, organic! Your wine, screw-topped!




I would henceforth like to be called "Iron Goddess of Mercy." Just gonna throw it out there...



Oh, yes. The Elfin Forest. I cannot make this goodness up. Unfortunately I forgot my wheelchair, so we didn't go see it.



Then, because we roll big style, we followed up the beach with a visit to Tolosa Winery in Edna Valley, where Deee and Bri-tri are members. We did a wine and cheese tasting in their Balla Balla room, where the concierge was a rockstar, the pairings were perfect, and the only thing missing was my tiara.


Noi's Thai Takeout for an appetizer before our bbq...it was the tiniest thai place in all the land--both in terms of menu and seating. There were at least three items on the eight-item menu I wanted to try, but since I couldn't be That Girl, I settled for the pineapple chicken curry. I'm obviously going to have to return to try the rest of my list...



Deee and Bri-tri's garden! They're growing japenese eggplant, corn, zucchini, tomatoes, and...some other stuff I can't remember. Magic beans? A money tree?

They even provided a home for their amphibious fans.


The waterwheel (is there a more official name than that?) at the Apple Farm. I just took this photo because I liked it. It reminded me of the Princess Bride. And the rack. Oh, wait...

Deee's orange tree! I made her climb up there and get me a bag full. Now my kitchen table is covered with them and I don't know what I was thinking. They just looked so GOOD. (Also, why can't one make an orange cobbler?? WHY, GOD, WHY CAN'T I COVER THESE WITH SUGAR AND CRUMBLY BISCUIT TOPPING??)

3 comments:

deee said...

from sanluisobipo.com this morning:

The current issue of Sunset magazine shows San Luis Obispo a lot of love this month, featuring the city as one of its top 10 Dream Towns - or, as the editors say, places to go "for the perfect vacation, or the perfect rest of your life." And you're a sucka if you move to London instead of there.

Wellll... Ok, I admit I added that last part.

MezzoCO said...

Dear Iron Goddess of Merci (I mean, Mercy):
I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud reading this post. I love the pics. The stories. The German elefans, Elfin way, and baby yum.
Hope you had a good day. We should "bus pool" on Sunday. And get blue bottle, yes?

Anonymous said...

looks great pictures lovely - dee and brian's house really nice....love the elefans...