Swing your morning windows wide, and across the narrow lanes the neighbor's french doors are open to greet you, with their intimate interior views. You could see everything--their taste in paintings, their little tables, their white curtains. It was like walking down an inviting country street of open doors, except on a plane of cloud-walkers.
As soon as I saw this girl and her country-blue peacoat, I knew I wanted to photograph her. I thought I could walk a few paces away and then turn around and photograph her without her knowing, except when I turned she was still watching me. And now we were gazing at each other, no words in common, and my camera was now in hand. I pointed to it, silently asking her for permission, and she nodded with secret flattered pleasure, granting it. She sat curiously as I snapped away and you could tell she felt like a total supermodel, despite her quiet repose. I was thisclose to stealing her away and making her my trip's souvenir.
Being that I stink at guidebooks (give me one and I will give it a cursory flip before becoming overwhelmed and tossing it aside, never to be flipped again), I often take photos of things that are unknown to me. Like this structure on the water: judging by my inadequate hotel map, complete with cartoon landmarks, this could be a justice hall, a house of worship, a single-family home, or the torture chambers of infidels. Who can say, really? Either way, it looked GREAT brooding over the dark waters.
I'm not gonna lie: this was the great dog-missing sign I have ever seen in my life. Maybe because their dog is so obviously a rogue. My guess is they'll find Oscar chillin' on the beach with the ladies, but given I didn't know how to say that in French, I couldn't call and let them know.
Their little girls are both tomboyish and feminine at the same time. How do they achieve such natural grace so young? Is it all that playing around in red rubber papasans?
I know...I know. It's a bicycle in front of a stone wall with climbing flowers. So very predictable of me, as though I'm taking stock photos for an airline vacation magazine. I was going to spray paint it red for an even better photo, but people started approaching as I shook the can, so I had to jet.
I photograph this not because I went to any of these places, but more to indicate what you see every time you turn down a new tiny street. When it came time to eat or drink, the choices were so innumerable as to be impossible. It was like trying to pick the perfect grain of sand on the beach. I wish someone would make a 'best cafes of Paris' guidebook that I could make a point of not-consulting. Unless they already have and it's buried in my suitcase somewhere.
You'll see your server do more of this than actual serving. When you gesture that you'd like another burgundy, they nod toward their cigarette and then indicate you'll get it when you get it. I'm not gonna lie: it was an effective system.
Some sort of body of water with more undefined edifices. It was the light here that intrigued me. I think the sun shines differently on Paris, but that could just be the glasses of burgundy talking.
The Latin Quarter (so named due to its literary history, not its taquerias, much to my disappointment), was full of tiny bookshops with such treasures in the windows. No guacamole to be seen, despite my attempts to find out where the 'latina comida' was.
Ha! This is one I know! The Louvre! I took three photographs and figured that counted as 'doing the Louvre.' Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel fulfilled just looking at this photo.
Given this was taken on Bastille Street, I figured this was...The Bastille. I had sort of hoped to see Jean's and Jacques's swinging from nooses outside of battered stone walls, but this column was pretty cool, too.
Where the Beats hang out.
And of course, because when in Paris...the Eiffel Tower. The most entertaining part about the tower was the walk to get to it--the vast square resembled a carnival or a street fair with all the vendors hawking their mini blinking Towers in hues of pink and purple and blue, like so many Eiffel discoteques, but once you walked through the flashing jungle, you got here, and saw this, and it was WAY flashier than the miniature versions, although not as thrilling. Rumor had it that the Tower blinks or flashes once every hour, but after thirty-five seconds of waiting, I figured it was time to hit the pavement.
Notre Dame, which strangely resembles a Methodist church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. But you know...in Paris. Rad. Do it, Paris.
5 comments:
OH BOY do I love your pictures. They are making me heart- and home-sick!! AND I have some commentary for you!!
1. That water? Is the Seine River.
2. YES the light IS different in Paris. Hence the birth of the entire Impressionist Art movement
3. Your mystery building in photo #3 is La Conciergerie - the first prison in Paris. It's where folks who were going to be beheaded during the terror (such as Marie Antoinette 1794, I think) were kept prior to said beheadings.
4. Place de la Bastille: In answer to your inquiries about the Bastille: On the right side of your picture is the Opera de la Bastille aka the "new" opera house. Basically, everything Mozart and later is performed here. Anything written pre-Mozart gets peformed in the Palais Garnier.
The gold-topped column on the left in your picture stands where the Bastille Prison was. The prinson was stormed on July 14, 1789, and subsequently torn down a few days later. The column went up sometime in 1800s to commemorate another revolution (either the 1830 or 1848...can't remember)
5. In your picture of the books, I thought you might appreciate knowing that the title of the book on the right la putain respectueuse means: the respectable whore. What is NOT to love about that?
Okay. Wow. I have to cut myself off or I'm going to talk about this forever!! hahaha
Dear Rona,
I'm writing a thesis on the stereotypic vision that American people have of Paris and the Parisians.
Looking for some informations about Paris as a romantic city, i found your blog.
First, it's very useful to me. And I am gonna quote you column. But I also wanted to tell you that it's beautifully written, and the pictures... So gorgeous !!
I also wondered : would you be okay to help me, and tell me what was your vision of Paris and Parisians ? Here is my email address: thierry.heems@gmail.com
Thanx for you help, and thanx for this lovely article !
Roni... your pictures are so beautiful, I cried. Literally. We have friends who go to Paris every other year and their photos have nothing on yours. Wow.
Take me home Rona. Take me home.
It looks like you had an amazing time. FYI- Oscar "le chien perdu" was watching the fireworks with me in Texas this last weekend...
I love France and am pining to go to London sometime soon. Thanks for sharing your experiences in your typical witty way.
Post a Comment