Monday, October 6, 2008

English grocery shopping do's and don't's.

Do: convert all recipes into grams and ml in advance of shopping.
Don't: bother with recipes at all, as you won't be able to find the ingredients, anyway.

Do: handle all plastic containers of soup with care.
Don't: drop your soup container in the aisle, where it then busts, spraying butternut squash all over the floor.
Do: run for it.

Do: bag your own groceries.
Don't: stand there, staring expectantly at your cashier for ten awkward minutes before noticing that the patrons in the other lines are all taking care of their own, leading you to scramble and pack your groceries in a frantic rush, guaranteeing you will arrive home to find that you shoved your bread between your jars of tomato sauce and your eggs are missing entirely.

Do: leave via the main entrance.
Don't: leave via the fire exit.

Do: get home as quickly as possible with your load and vow never to return again, as you can survive by sucking the splatters of butternut squash soup off the hem of your jeans for at least a few weeks.
Don't: realize you forgot the kitty food as soon as you see the mewing cat.

Do: take advantage of your return trip to buy a bottle of red wine.
Don't: wait until dinner to open it.

6 comments:

sara said...

So good to hear that you made it and are surviving. The babies ask about you everyday. We have a calender crossing off each day until you''re return!!

MezzoCO said...

HAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAhha OMG did you really spill butternut squash soup everywhere??? high five!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well at least you can say you made an exciting exit. soup anyone ? Glad you made it across the pond but we still miss you in the Bay !

Anonymous said...

Speaking of soups at stores: Waitrose has a *delicious* minestrone soup. Possibly the best minestrone soup I've ever enjoyed.

In general I think higher of British grocery stores than our own, too. Mmm... now I'm hungry... :)

Anonymous said...

M&S for take away food!

Jessica said...

Yeah, I take each grocery trip as a challenge to see how quickly I can bag all the groceries and still have all the frozen/refrigerated stuff together and not let the bananas or bread get squashed or the eggs smashed. In Lidl everything goes directly into the trolley and then you have to move out of the way once you've paid to sort yourself out. As for ingredients, don't know if you ever get the hankering for pimiento cheese like I did (once), but if you can't find jarred pimientos, just roasting sweet red pepper (or bell pepper)and removing the skin does the trick. Also, enjoy creme fraiche while it's widely available! That's one ingredient you can get over here aplenty but you'd have to make your own back home. Yikes, did I ever respond to your last email? I know I started it, but I may have saved the draft to finish later...