I remember the first time I heard talk of Bay to Breakers. I kept thinking for the longest time everyone was saying 'Beta Breakers,' and I just figured this was a marathon benefitting, uh, science. Or something. I also couldn't understand why everyone and their mother wanted to either be in it or be watching it. Like, really? You're all jazzed about science out here in San Francisco?
Then I saw a bill for it, and it was those huge epiphany moments, seeing the name in print. Everything made SO MUCH MORE SENSE. It's BAY. TO. BREAKERS. Get it?? From the San Francisco Bay to Ocean Beach?? PEOPLE! Do you get it?? Isn't that clever?? BAY TO BREAKERS!
The clever name still didn't, however, reveal why the fuss, why the excitement, why the constant questions of 'Are you doing Bay to Breakers??' Please note the use of verb here. It's not 'Are you running Bay to Breakers,' it's 'Are you doing Bay to Breakers.' Because unless you're one of the rare weirdos who actually want to race it, it's assumed you're one of the weirdos who want to walk it, in costume, pulling a keg. Oh, yes. It's better than the Castro at Halloween in terms of naked men wearing leaves, it's better than Carnivale when it comes to masses more colorfully outfitted than peacocks, and it's better than FlugTag in terms of 'best parade you will ever see.' You'll see togas, butterfly wings, deejays spinning on street corners, and an entire group dressed as Smurfs, pulling a giant mushroom with hoses coming out dispensing beer, and a turntable on top for a dreadlocked deejay.
Welcome to the biggest party in San Francisco. And it's not for science.
1 comment:
HAHAHAHAHA I sooo thought the SAME thing when I first moved to SF. I kept hearing people talk about doing Beta Breakers and had no clue. thought it was some computer/geeky thing (no offense to anyone who is a techie)...
then saw it and HELLO? Bay - to - Breakers makes so much more sense.
There's a reason you and I are twins - years apart!
Since I've moved away, I haven't forgotten how it ties up the city in terms of traffic, parking and just getting to the side of The City that you want to be in the day of the Beta...oops Bay to Breakers.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to drive a nearly empty country road to a friend's house that has ample parking in the driveway - to go watch a movie. G'nite.
Post a Comment