Monday, May 12, 2008

The dangers of an unmaintained relationship, by Seinfeld

I was watching Seinfeld tonight on my computer, and Elaine relates the following story:

“There’s this guy who lives in my building who I was introduced to a couple years ago. He’s a teacher or something. Anyway, after we met, whenever we’d run into each other in the street or in the lobby or whatever, we would stop and chat a little bit. Nothing much. Little pleasantries. He’s a nice guy. He’s got a family. Then after a while, I noticed there was no more stopping, just saying hello and continuing on our way. And then the verbal hellos stopped and we just went into these little sorts of nods of recognition. So fine, I figure, that’s where this relationship is finally gonna settle. Polite nodding. Then one day, he doesn’t nod. Like I don’t exist? He went from nods to nothing. Now there’s this intense animosity whenever we pass. I mean, it’s like we really hate each other. It’s based on nothing.”

Jerry in response: "A relationship is an organism. You created this thing, and then you starved it, so it turned against you. Same thing happened in 'The Blob.'"

1 comment:

MezzoCO said...

the tao of seinfeld . . .

good to see you, dear!!