Why is it that pain is more intense when the lights go off? Maybe it's because when the lights are on, one is usually doing something active: reading, writing, trying to teach the Nut how to play scrabble. But as soon as the lights go off, that's it. All distractions depart and there you are, left alone with your pain. You don't have the Friends laugh track or a deck of cards to busy the hands or mind any longer. It's just you. In the dark. And every sensation becomes acute.
Maybe this is why when I'm hurting (migraine, typically, though this time a throbbing jaw) I sleep with the light on. There's something about reading by warm lamplight until the hand drops and you're uber-unconscious that prevents one from being alone with their body. And not being alone with one's body seems to be key when it comes to pain maintenance.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a page to turn. And then a page to drool on.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think Yield is the PERFECT name for a wine bar!!! Wish I could come up with these things. Hope you make it through the night ok. I've had all four wisdom teeth out & I sympathise...
feel bettekr - it will soon pass!
Also...You're mentioned in my latest post :) I like your blog :/ hehe
Post a Comment