I remember once (and by 'once,' I mean 'every day') in college, Leslie and I were standing in front of our respective dorm closets, listlessly staring at our clothes, arms hanging at our sides, shoulders slumped, legs planted in a position of permanence. "I don't have any clothes to wear." "Me, neither." We had exhausted our options, combinations, and clothing shares. We had nothing left. "I'll give you a nickel to wear the same outfit all week." "I will if you will." "Deal!" Considerably cheered, we picked out our matching plaid pants and black tees and conducted a five-day experiment: would anybody really notice if we wore the same thing all the time? Or was that time we spent every morning mind-effing our wardrobes all for the sake of our own vanity?
Changing out nothing but our undershirts, we wore the same exact outfit every day. And you know what? NOT ONE PERSON NOTICED. We had learned a good lesson: there is definitely no need to be doing all this laundry. And each time we caught ourselves complaining in front of our closets again, we would punish ourselves by playing our little joke, pulling out the pants and tees and going for another round.
And now I am packing for a week of dogsitting, starting tomorrow. As I stand in front of my closet, my problem this time is not whether or not I have enough clothing, but rather, how can I possibly fit a week's worth of skirts, heels, and blouses into one tiny rolly suitcase? Let alone loungewear and weekend-wear and a bottle of shampoo.
So now it's time to renew old tradition. I am packing only two outfits for the entire work week, to be rotated every other day. One is a pair of brown, pin-striped trousers with an olive green button-up top, and the other is a simple black skirt with a red and white top. If college is any indication of how attentive people are, then nobody will even blink an eye! Joke's on me, buddy!
I'll let you know if I get busted. In the meantime, let the games begin!
Monday, April 21, 2008
Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
When it comes to light packing, you should always pack 2:1. Two tops to every one bottom. Although, I can see that your way will be a much more interesting experiment.
I totally forgot about this! The sad thing is, I still wear the same thing everyday. Not to see if people will notice, but because I'm lazy, don't do laundry, and only have one comfy shirt and pair of pants. And nothing has changed...nobody notices!
dogsitting again? see you downtown!
How's it going? Anyone notice yet?
Post a Comment