"Yeah! I love you! I'll visit you soon!"
"Okay, bye!"
"Bye!"
I realized too late as I hurried off the bus lurching to a stop that this was it: the final goodbye between Deee and me before she moves on Saturday. As the lit bus pulled away down the dark street, it was like being hit with a ton of bricks. Wait! That is not how the goodbye was supposed to go! Where was the banner I ordered? The dancing monkey I trained? The embrace, the sobbing, the ankle clinging as she tried to kick me off? And now...she is gone. As the tears formed in my eyes right there on the sidewalk, I hurriedly wiped them away, grabbing my dancing monkey by the hand and gripping the rolled banner under my arm. I was glad that I spared her ankles and didn't snot all over her shirt in a blubbery farewell, while the rest of me felt a sudden void in my life.
And so now I am home, swallowing a lump in my throat, shushing a chattering monkey, and plotting my next trip to San Luis Obispo, where I can tackle Deee in a shriek: "GOODBYE, DEEE! GOODBYE!" in the only manner fitting one's best friend's departure. And then I shall hang my unused farewell banner in the guestroom, and never leave her side again.
And so now I am home, swallowing a lump in my throat, shushing a chattering monkey, and plotting my next trip to San Luis Obispo, where I can tackle Deee in a shriek: "GOODBYE, DEEE! GOODBYE!" in the only manner fitting one's best friend's departure. And then I shall hang my unused farewell banner in the guestroom, and never leave her side again.
3 comments:
awwwww..the farewell....
sad for you. and deee
HUGS my love. I know it is not easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm tearing up! I would have totally not realized it was our last goodbye if you had not said, "I'll visit soon." And then I was like... But, but ...! And then I looked for you and you were gone.
We're not the long drawn out goodbye types anyways, right?
Post a Comment