Monday, March 24, 2008

Lessons Learned

So once upon a time, long, long, long ago, months ago, in fact, I went on bad accidental date. I say 'accidental' because I didn't realize it was a prospecting thing until too late. And I did a blog-posting about the encounter sparing few barbs and in fact creating a couple extra, just because I knew he didn't read my blog, never would, and we knew virtually nobody in common other than a couple girls who didn't know I was with him that day therefore wouldn't make the connection. So I thought I was safe with this story.

Now cue an email I woke up to this morning from said gentleman. ATTACHED TO MY BLOG POSTING. Somehow, he got my blog link. And somehow, he read back through the archives. And somehow, despite all gross exaggerations, he recognized our outing. And unfortunately, my caricature of the affair. I have since removed the posting in the depths of despair and now I carry a rock (and by 'rock' I mean 'boulder') of shame in the pit of my stomach. I would like to think that this post could serve as a public apology, except I think he will not be back to my blog again, thanks to not a little disgust in my appallingly depraved nature. I really hope he didn't read the posting about stealing that baby...

This--this!--is why I don't give out my blog link. Wait, no, that's not my lessons learned. This--this!--is why I don't post about men. No, no wait, that's not it, either. No, my lessons learned is obvious: DON'T BE A B*TCH ON YOUR BLOG. I am an IDIOT with a delusional sense of impenetrability. How could I one, say such awful things in general--do I lack all basic human kindness? Maybe I didn't think I was being cruel because I fictionalized his nature to the point that it no longer resembled him and so I didn't even think it was a real person about whom I was writing anymore. But how did I really think I could write the things I wrote and get away with it?? I guess we've all got to learn it once...but I really had hoped to learn it from someone else, far far away, and then I would apply the Decency Filter to my own writings with smug satisfaction that I'm not THAT dumb.

Now if you'll excuse me, I should go remove all the postings about my job...

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh no! I often think about the fact that my blog link is attached to my email. Probably not smart. Ugh!

deee said...

oops. don't give your blog out to anyone else!

Lizzie said...

A'right, from one bitch to another, here's what i say. It's your blog. Say what you want. And if it were me who this happened to (and things i say on my blog do occasionally come back to bite me), i would have responded to this gentleman by saying something like "Well, clearly this is your fault. You were a terrible date. If you had been interesting, or fun, or not horribly bad mannered, or [insert offensive thing that made you write the blog in the first place], i would not have had to use the story of our terrible date to entertain my friends. Thank you for never becoming a part of my life and f*ck you for throwing your obvious shortcomings in my face. Good day."

but that's just me.