Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Words to Live By

I realized Monday that Valentine's Day was coming up and I HAD NO HEART STICKERS. How can anybody make it through V-Day without heart stickers?? An emergency Japantown run was called, and Wendy my panda was summoned.

Fifty dollars and an hour later, I was being handed a bag full of paper and stickers and notepads. I don't know what happened. I swear I blacked out. As I was coming to, I heard Wendy squeak, "Look at those business card holders!" Inside the glass case at the register, my new reason for living was sitting on a cushion waiting for my loving arms to take it home. It was wonderful, it was poorly- translated English, it was intended to be motivational and yet fell incredibly short of the mark. In short: it was me in the form of a tiny metal container.

Bright orange with a rooster sketched on it, it spoke wisdom: "We cannot fly, but we can walk as much as we want."

And I don't know about you, but that inspires me beyond comprehension. I feel that in a life full of disappointment and failure and lost opportunity, there's something to be said for lowering the bar. Forget that spreading your wings nonsense. Just hit the pavement. And keep walking.



*Please note that I couldn't justify buying yet another gift for myself, nor could Wendy, so we decided to buy each other's new card holders and then exchange them as gifts right there on the spot. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

i find this to be deeply profound.

i am changed.

Gina said...

What a great idea -- the instant gift giving. What a perfect way to avoid buyer's remorse.