Well, here I go to the Container Store to get myself the containers I’ve been craving for ages but never had the proper motivation to actually get. Until now, when I went to make myself Swedish Griddlecakes for breakfast (‘just add water!’ courtesy of Trader Joe’s), I found my package crawling with weevils. This then led me to peruse other such items in my cupboard and tossing half of its contents in a ‘Did I see movement??” paranoia. The tricky thing about my cupboard is that it is on an external wall, and open to the outside. One wall of it is a simple wire grate facing the great outdoors. That’s because my cupboard was the apartment’s refrigerator back when the building was first constructed roughly 400 years ago. And, thanks to this clever design, I lost my griddle mix, my pancake mix, my biscuit mix, and—oh sorrowful day—my self-rising flour to tiny spawns of Satan. So now, to protect the rest of my precious bounty, I’m breaking down and getting containers at long last. I’m actually very excited. I’ve been looking at containers for some time and always get crippled by my desire for both design AND functionality. And just when I finally find something I adore, I take one look at the cost, and quit the process altogether. Because how can I get that cheaper substition when I’m in love with this? But now I am on fire, like a woman scorned, and I am sacrificing my need for a scandinavian high rise container set in favor of some nice, functional, simple glass containers. I think. I haven’t, after all, seen what the Container Store has to offer.
This whole tragedy reminds me of when JaRoni found weevils in her cupboard last year, and had a minor (major) panic attack. She stopped short of burning down her entire kitchen in an effort to purify (and even then, I suspect she wanted to and would have if we had not consoled her that one, they won’t kill her or eat her kitty, two, enclosed containers would do the trick, and three, she is not a bad housekeeper because these sorts of critters are altogether too common). But I think mostly she feared Death by Weevil, as evidenced by her constant, “Are you SURE we didn’t actually eat one?? What if we DID?? Omigod, I think my stomach is hurting…I feel sick. Definitely sick. Am I flushed? Why’s it so HOT in here? Is a fever symptomatic of weevil consumption??”
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment