Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I'm Pedometer Girl

I always mocked those with pedometers. They reminded me of those women you see power-walking through the mall, arms pumping furiously as they traversed the obstacle course of cell phone kiosks and pretzel stands. THOSE women wear pedometers. And white orthopedic shoes. And I do NOT fall in that category. I am WAY too young and hip. But...well, when the CEO of my company offered pedometers to anybody who wanted one in an effort to build ‘heart safety’ awareness, I thought, ‘Aw, heck, could be fun. It’s a sociological experiment. That’s all.” And now I’m HOOKED. I check it compulsively: “Oooh! How many steps from my desk to the coffee pot? Oooh! How many steps from the coffee pot to David’s office?” I now pace EVERYthing. My bedroom to the corner store? Three billion steps. From the bathroom to the kitchen? Five leaps (and if you leap, your pedometer thinks you’ve taken at LEAST ten steps, which is like a SUPER bonus). Now I’m all about trying to hit 10,000 steps a day via a series of jumps, sidles, and somersaults (three steps). So far I average about 6,500 a day, but that also includes the bus jerking around which causes me to lose my footing and do the Balance Hop (approx. four hundred steps). Oh, and when you’re getting up and down from your seat? Bounce a little (a step)! Now, every night as I go about my Going to Bed Routine, I take off my pedometer and admire my extreme physical fitness. And every morning, I sheepishly put it back on, like I’m sneaking another hit of a self-esteem drug. Then I leap to the bathroom to begin my day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that why you were jumping around last night at the wine bar funny girl?

Anonymous said...

We should start a support group.