Friday, November 2, 2007

Funny Pick-Up Attempt

From a girlfriend today: "So I made my weekly trip to Round Table for lunch today and I brought my book (Darwin, Origin of Species) with me to read while I wait for the pizza to cook. Darwin's sitting on the counter while I order, and the guy, whom I've seen fairly regularly since starting at Beacon Street (mmmm...I do like me dem pizza pies), says, as he's handing me my change, "Oh, yeah, I've read a couple of his books. He's pretty good, that Darwin." I look up, I struggle to keep the perplexed look from being too obvious on my face (calculating the possibility of whether this brilliant intellect is hiding from the mafia by working at Round Table Pizza, I mean who else would read several of Darwin's books, or if I've just been handed the most transparent pick up line ever), I nod "Mmhmm," and go sit down and begin my 10-minute vigil where I pretend to be patient for my pizza (mmm...I really like me dem pizza pies). Next thing I know, he yells out, "Wow, that's a really old book. I just looked it up online..."

1 comment:

Gina said...

Duh! That's really all I can say for this dude.