Friday, January 18, 2008

My Next Photo Project: Alphabet Soup!

My next photo project has been decided! I’m making it public here to make sure I get it done, so this serves as both very open accountability AND hopefully a source that will generate ideas. Because I’m going to need roughly...twenty six ideas.

Here’s the scoop: as you know, I have a new niece. I’m a big fan of this little person and want to make her a little sum’in sum’in that she can keep FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER. Lea Lea gave me the greatest idea in all the land (it’s an idea currently popular in the blogmunity, apparently): an Alphabet Book! Each letter will be a photo that I’ve taken. I want each letter/photo to represent something about my life here in SF: things that she won’t be experiencing in Oklahoma either due to location or upbringing (I don’t see my sister feeding her pad thai anytime soon, for example, available or otherwise). This book will ultimately serve several purposes:

1. She will get to know her aunt, despite the distance. I mean, if she’s going to be buying me presents someday, I want her to know what I like.
2. She will get to see Life Outside of Oklahoma, in an attempt to coerce her out of the fields.
3. It will be personalized and special just for her. AND educational. (Right.)

Here are my current letter-ideas. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me suggestions for any of the blanks and DEFINITELY feel free to offer changes to what I have here. I am totally in the planning process right now and appreciate any feedback to make this better. I’m looking for things either specifically San Franciscan (think of this as a mini-travel-guide for the toddler set) or specifically Roni-an.

And no, Leslie, “V” cannot be Vagina. I’m just going to get that out there right now.

A: Auntie Rona
B: Birds, Wind-Up
C: Church
D: Deee
E:
F: Farmer's Market
G: Gramma and Grampa
H: Hunter (her sister) and Hope (her cousin)
I: Indian Pizza
J:
K:
L:
M: Marimekko (is it okay to teach a two year old the word 'Marimekko'?)
N:
O:
P: Pad Thai
Q:
R: Reading
S:
T: Trolley Car
U: Umbrella (I'm justifying this oh-so-common 'U' word because of SF's rainy season. Forgive me for my lack of imagination.)
V:
W: Workplace
X:
Y: You (I’m thinking a tiny plastic mirror here, as I won’t be able to take her photo for another six months)
Z:

Now fill in the blanks!

7 comments:

Ohmygoshko.com said...

Ooh! Make "V" venereal disease and show how free lovin' all you Californians are!

deee said...

how about Z for Zooo? I love the zoo. They don't have zoos in OK do they? Only earthquake machines like you were telling me about last night, right? (I was going to say S for Siberian tiger, but those stupid san jose kids...)

deee said...

how about J for japantown. they're all white in OK, right? you could go to the cherry blossom festival. I love this alphabet book idea. I think d should be for dark alleyways with moustachio'd men or (extra) dirty martinis or "duh! the golden gate bridge" that one shot that you took with your photo peeps

Anonymous said...

workplace? that should be wine as we are famous for our wine in california - or how sbout wine at the workplace.....

Caroll Moya said...

Forget the wine (although a good idea) but you should use WONDER TWIN Rona WONDER TWIN!!!

Loren said...

N: Naan N Curry
E: Embarcadero Center/Mall
L: Lawn-bowling in Golden Gate Park
Q: quirky (I'm thinking you can find something not-so-scary, but definitely quirky in the Haight/Castro area?
S: sunset (either the district or the sunset over ocean beach)
O: ocean: cause they don't have the ocean in Oklahoma
X: just going to my go-to X words: xylophone (kids like those, right?), umm...x-ray (at Kaiser?), yeah that's all I got...

MezzoCO said...

E: Eucalyptus Trees (they are everywhere here!)
J: Jam, Homemade (don't you know a Jam maker??)
K: Kites (on the marina green?)
L: Lombard Street (the crookedest street in the world!)
N: Neighborhood/neighbor(s)
O: Ocean
S: Stationery (which you love and on which she can write you lots of letters)
V: View (from your window?) or buena VISTA park?

And, while it's wholly inappropriate for say, your NIECE, how about:
Q: Queen, Drag