Sunday, January 20, 2008

One more pearl in my crown

I find that the homeless that I have encountered around SF tend to be a little...picky. Like once, I offered to get a guy a sub sandwich because I was walking into the shop and he got all 'wheat bread, no mustard' on me, which was TOTALLY irritating. I don't even like picking up subs for COWORKERS because of stuff like that, let alone dealing with it from a guy who holds out a cup for a living. And it's not like I expected him to drop to his knees in gratitude, weeping "yes! yes! thank you thank you, bless-your-future offspring, sweet dear child of light!" (Not that I would mind that. In fact, you are welcome to address me as such ANYtime.) But at the very least, I didn't expect him to specify his cheese preference. And then today I'm walking into Starbucks and there's a dude with a cup across the sidewalk and for no explicable reason other than a hard-to-define sense of well-being, I spontaneously asked if he would like a cup of coffee. I expected him to say no, right, because that's what they do, they want your quarters not your goods, but he just BEAMS. "Yes!" So I ask him what kind he wants, and he goes, "Medium?" WHICH WAS SO GREAT. It didn't even OCCUR to him that I was asking if he wanted a cinnamon dulce latte or a non-fat no-whip mocha. He just assumed coffee was what he was getting, and he wasn't going to get greedy about it. I was so pleased I ALMOST offered him a wheat-bread, swiss-cheese, no-mustard sandwich. Instead, I made sure he got the Gold Coast brew instead of the Guatamala Antigua. This guy deserved the dark roast.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go polish my halo. It is a GOOD day.

1 comment:

Ohmygoshko.com said...

That's nice to know that there are some "appreciative" homeless men out there. A homeless man literally made fun of the way I was coming out of the subway, arms wildly swinging, and then asked me for money. They're a little more jaded here, I think.