Saturday, December 15, 2007

Chicks Really Dig That

As "Hold Me Closer, Tony Danza," played in the background, the bartender at the pub approached me: "A gentleman down there would like you buy you a drink." "That's okay. I'm just waiting for my carryout." Within a minute, said gentleman appeared at my side: "Hi, I'm That Guy. Can I buy you a beer?"

"No thanks! I'm just waiting for a burger and then I have to go."
"A burger, huh? Where are you from?"
"Oklahoma originally."
"I'm from Colorado! I moved out here to start my writing career. I like to travel around South America and study tribal life and write about how we're corrupting it with our presence. What do you do?"
"I'm in construction."
"REALLY?! Me, too! I'm actually a carpenter by trade."
"So you're a carpenter and a writer?"
"Yeah!"
"Chicks really dig that."
"Really?"
"Absolutely."
"I think you're making fun of me."
"Of course I'm not. Look at what a hit Jesus was. Carpenters are hot."
"I still think you're making fun of me."
"Nonsense. Hey, listen, I've got to go soon."
"Let me give you my number!"
"Thanks. Aren't your friends missing you by now?"
"Are you trying to get rid of me? It sounds like you're trying to get rid of me."
"I wouldn't do that. Thanks for the number. Oh, and the email? That's great."

Two weeks left until my 2007 Manfast is over. My friends keep asking me what's going to happen in 2008: Will I start dating again? Will the floodgates open? Will I do the Year of Yes instead of the Year of No? So far I'm thinking absolutely not.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Did you really say "nonsense"? If so, I adore you more than I thought it possible to adore a stranger.