Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Christmas Tree Menagerie

Remember how exciting and cozy it was to sleep in the living room during the holidays when you were young, the twinkling lights going all night, the blankets wrapped tight and warm, the couch cushions softer than your mattress ever was? Yeah. I'm not sleeping anywhere NEAR this tree. Not just because I wouldn't fit between the arms of our loveseats without breaking my legs, but also because I think our ornaments come to life at night.

This is Drag Queen Duckie. I made him last year using nothing but superglue, feathers, and beads. Hard to believe he's handcrafted, I know. I think he's beautiful even though his eyeliner is a bit trampy. But I'm not one to judge his choices.



"Parachuting from a Rainbow" Bear. This is how I feel every day on my fourth cup of coffee.



This is our tree top, Hangover Angel. Rachel and Meg found her on the sidewalk one year while wasted.



Please note our SWEET view of the city from the window on the left. Please do NOT notice our tree's naked spots that are a direct result of having a substandard string of lights and being too lazy to replace them.



Here you see, among others, Gimpy Ewe, Big Furry Orange, and Woody. The snowman on the top left scares me. You can't tell from this angle, but he's holding a broom in one hand and a bouquet of balloons in the other. I think he's plotting my demise.

2 comments:

sunny said...

I've never seen ornaments like those....but they're the most fun ones I've ever seen! I think they do come to life. So no sleeping near the tree this year!

I loved sleeping in the living room between the fireplace and the tree... (n-i-c-e..sleeping between two fire hazards!)... loved it... the coziness of it all.

THANKS for making me remember such nice memories as I sit in my tree-less home. thanks a LOT, rona!

LatinaDiana said...

I love "gimpy ewe" the best... just because I imagine you telling people about her and them completely taking offense. You have created a monster, and I have created a blog.

Come drizzle your Sharona love sauce all over it. Oh yes. I mean it like that.